Formed in 1974, Deep East Texas Self Insurance Fund (DETSIF) was created by a core group of East Texas Governmental Entities to provide workers’ compensation coverage to their employees. DETSIF has performed just as planned by its founding members for nearly fifty years, while slowly expanding our membership to every corner of the state.
DETSIF is governed and controlled by its membership. Our Executive Committee meets monthly to assist management in the operation of the Fund. There is no commercial interest in the background and all assets are owned and controlled by the membership for the benefit of the members.
DETSIF is proud to have a competent, knowledgeable staff that is dedicated to providing quality, competitively priced insurance services to the Fund members. Four of our employees have over 100 years of combined governmental self insurance experience.
Workers’ Comp Factoids
In Texas, to be a governmental employee, you must be paid hourly, daily, weekly, monthly or yearly.
An employer must report any changes in an injured worker’s pay or employment status with a the Supplemental Report of Injury (DWC-6), to the insurance carrier and the injured worker within:
- ten (10) days from the end of a pay period in which an injured worker’s pay changes; and
- ten (10) days from the date an injured worker resigns or is terminated; and
- three (3) days from the date an injured worker returns to work; and
- three (3) days from the date an injury causes an employee to miss additional work after returning to work.
Under Texas Comp. there are four types of income benefits:
- temporary income benefits (TIBs);
- impairment income benefits (IIBs)
- supplemental income benefits (SIBs); and
- lifetime income benefits (LIBs).